Sunday, May 24, 2015

ZERO WASTE, MAKE HASTE


We ran out of mouthwash and it gave me a great opportunity to replace it with a homemade one.  It did require a quick trip to NatureTyme but I’m sure I’ll be using these essential oils for other DIYs.  This anti-bacterial mouthwash is very easy to make and my mouth feels extremely fresh and clean.  I took 1 cup of distilled water (or purified), and added 4 tsps. of baking soda.  I stirred it and dropped in 4 drops of tea tree essential oil, as well as, 4 drops (or more) of peppermint essential oil.  I placed these back into the empty mouthwash bottle, gave it a good shake and was ready to go. 

It is NOT a  good idea to double this recipe since the flavors of the essential oils can change over time.  Both oils have antibacterial properties which will keep away the bad breath.  Be sure you give your bottle a shake before using it since the baking soda will settle on the bottom.  If you’d like the mouthwash to have a sweet taste, they recommend that you use Xylitol which is proven to have a positive effect on tooth and gum health.  I will try this next time.  You add two teaspoons of it to this recipe.

Warning:  Xylitol can be very toxic to dogs.  Keep it stored away from your canine friends : )

HOMEMADE ANTI-BACTERIAL MOUTHWASH

1 cup of distilled or purified water
4 tsps. of baking soda
4 drops of tea tree essential oil
4 drops of peppermint essential oil
**optional:  2 tsps. Xytitol


Judy Antoine  
May 23, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment